Safety and kids outdoor playgrounds
Kids outdoor playgrounds and apparatus, such as jungle gyms, present children with fun exercise, fresh air, and the necessary vitamin D from the sun, but can easily turn into danger zones due to:
- Faulty or substandard equipment
- Improper surfaces
- Lack of maintenance on the apparatus.
These are just a few of the hazards that cause play area accidents. You can make the children play area a place that's amusing and secure, by investing in well-constructed and superior quality play area equipment and by doing regular maintenance on the apparatus. At Jungle Gym World, you have the options of either renting or purchasing equipment for kids outdoor playgrounds. The company has been the preferred service provider for jungle gyms and outdoor apparatus since 1997 and offers a wide range of services and equipment for outside play areas.
- Design and manufacturing of a large range of educational and fun outdoor play equipment.
- Maintenance and repairs of jungle gyms, slides, monkey bars, swings, see-saws and more.
- Advice on the lay-out and safety features of kids outdoor playgrounds.
- Lectures on the importance of outdoor activities, unstructured play and outdoor apparatus.
- Assistance with the selection of age appropriate equipment.
- Refurbishment of wooden and steel jungle gyms.
- Rental services of suitable equipment.
- Delivery of products within 24 hours of the agreed date.
- Two year guarantee on wooden jungle gyms and one year guarantee on steel products against rust and premature perishing.
General advice on the layout and safety of kids outdoor playgrounds
When planning play areas, the focus should not only be on fun and visually attractive lay-outs, but consideration should also be given to the safety of children who will be the main users of the area.
- The surface should be level since uneven surfaces can cause equipment to topple over and may cause the collection of water in certain spots. This in turn forms breeding grounds for mosquitoes and other insects. Apart from the health concerns, the equipment can also be damaged by pools of water.
- There must be adequate spacing between the apparatus to prevent injuries.
- The play area must be free of any sharp objects, broken glass, plastic bags, and toxic substances.
- Consider filling your playground surface with wooden chips or river sand if the area is small enough.
- Surfacing mats can be placed around jungle gyms to prevent injuries caused by falls and slips. Make sure the mats extend more than 1.8 meters past the equipment.
Play area equipment design
Kids outdoor playgrounds equipment can be divided into two main categories:
- Ages 2 to 5 years (preschool children)
- Ages 5 to 12 years (school going children)
Jungle Gym World provides standard age-appropriate equipment and customized designs according to your child’s needs and skills level. The jungle gym and play equipment range of Jungle Gym World is more specific than the normal two categories available:
- Babies from12 to 18 months
- Toddlers from 18 tot 30 months
- Toddlers from 2 to 4 years (Banyana jungle gym)
- Toddlers and kids from 2 to 7 years (Kiddo’s)
- Kids 3 to 7 years ( Kids jungle gym)
- Kids 2 to 8 years (Junior and Super Junior)
- Kids 2/3 tot 10 years (Senior, Senior Deluxe and Super Senior)
- Kids 3 to 10 years (Maxi and Super Maxi)
- Kids 3 to 13 years (Jumbo and Super Jumbo)
These age group divisions for steel jungle gyms make planning for the needs of all the children in preschools, households and primary schools a lot easier. The equipment can be extended and easily maintained. Some of the accessories that can be purchased include: additional swings; canopies; cargo nets; rope ladders, and hand rings. For an even wider variety of activities you can also add sport equipment available from Jungle Gym World:
- Inplanted rugby posts for pre-school areas
- Soccer posts
- Netball and basket ball stands
- Jogging barrels
- Ball throwing apparatus
Jungle Gym World is renowned for high quality products, excellent service and sound advice on the lay-out and design of safe kids outdoor playgrounds.